top of page


It is no secret that we have weathered some trying economic times in the last few years. Many people who thought that their jobs were safe, suddenly found themselves unemployed or making less money. What happens to a child support obligation when the person paying loses their job or has their income drastically reduced? Although child support is, and should be, a priority, the Courts understand that sometimes parents suffer setbacks.

The good news is that if you lose your job or suffer a significant reduction in income, through no fault of your own, you may be able to reduce your child support obligation. The bad news is that this does not occur automatically. Your child support obligation will not change unless you file a motion to modify it.

Unfortunately, people often procrastinate and, if child support is not fully paid as it comes due, child support arrears will result. Typically, the Court will only order a modification of child support going back to the date the motion was served. It is extremely uncommon for the Court to retroactively modify child support obligations prior to this date. Arrears must be paid, and failing to do so can lead to garnishment of wages or bank accounts. Therefore, it is very important to bring a motion to modify child support as soon as you lose your job or income.

To discuss child support, or any family law matter, contact Kruse Family Law PLLC at 612.231.9865 or email

24 views0 comments
bottom of page