top of page

Making It Stop: Seeking an Order for Protection

Minnesota Law allows a court to issue an Order For Protection (“OFP”) when an act of domestic abuse is committed by one family or household member against another family or household member. You can seek an OFP for yourself, your children, or both. The law defines “domestic abuse” as:

1. Infliction of physical harm, bodily injury, or assault (shoving, hitting, biting, etc.);

2. Infliction of fear of imminent physical harm (throwing things, punching a wall, harming pets, etc.);

3. Terroristic threats (threatening to kill or seriously injure you);

4. Acts of criminal sexual conduct (rape, sexual assault); or

5. Interference with an emergency call (trying to stop you from calling 911 or hanging up when you do).

A “family or household member” includes:

1. Your spouse or ex-spouse;

2. Someone with whom you are in a romantic or sexual relationship;

3. Your parents or children;

4. Someone to whom you are related by blood;

5. Someone you live with now or lived with in the past; and

6. Someone with whom you have a child or pregnancy.

An OFP can order a person to stop contacting you and stay away from your home or workplace. Although an OFP is a civil matter, violation of an OFP can lead to criminal prosecution.

If you have been the victim of domestic abuse, you may wish to seek help from a domestic abuse advocate. For additional legal help regarding an OFP, contact Kruse Family Law by phone at 612.231.9865 or via email at

Minneapolis, Minnesota City Hall
If you have been a victim of domestic abuse, you can ask the court for help.

38 views0 comments
bottom of page